The Area Security Officer is responsible for the implementation of safety, security, and communications policies across the assigned area.
He/she is working under the supervision of the Country Security and Access Manager, in consultation with the Senior Office Manager – Eastern Region. General objectives of the position:
- Responsible for all security activities in the Eastern Region, in close coordination with AC/S-AC and capital coordination (mainly CSAM). Responsible for support and technical supervision of sub-base security focal points. Responsible for supervising the work of all the persons working in security department (security assistants, radio operators, guards and any other staff directly reporting to him/her).
1- Staff management and Leadership
- Control and check daily the work of all the persons under his/her responsibility Organise the planning (monthly/weekly/daily work) of his/her department Manage leave for the members of his/her department Maintain efficient monthly, weekly & daily planning & movements follow-up tools. Train & build capacities of security staff in area of responsibility. Promote effective communication and cooperation with other sections within area of responsibility, particularly logistics and program.
- Policies and procedures: Prepare and maintain plans, SOPs and contingency plans, including but not limited to the Security Plan and hibernation, relocation and evacuation (HRE) contingency plans, supported by Capital Security Department. Contribute to ACTED Country Security Plan Contribute to formal threat assessment and risk analysis processes as directed. Maintain situational awareness: Monitor security situation across assigned area of responsibility Maintain a network of appropriate contacts to provide situational awareness across areas relevant to ACTED operations Travel frequently to ACTED areas of intervention to understand security environment and security considerations of ACTED operations Attend relevant security coordination and information-sharing meetings Maintain awareness of conditions of key infrastructure of security relevance within area of responsibility (road and air transport, health facilities, security installations) Contribute to ACTED security databases and information management systems as directed Incident reporting and passage of information: Compile regular reports on the security situation and disseminate within area and to Capital Office. Disseminate timely security advisories and threat warnings to personnel within area of responsibility. Provide detailed incident reporting regarding any security incidents that occur within area of responsibility, in accordance with ACTED policies. Provide specialist security input to planning and conduct of ACTED program activities wherever appropriate
- Coordinate provision of security-specific training through external providers to guards, drivers, and other staff as appropriate Deliver/coordinate delivery of refresher training to guards, drivers and other staff as appropriate Deliver basic security awareness training to new ACTED staff, and regular refresher training to established staff. Carry out drills to confirm staff training in response to safety and security incidents Ensure first aid and fire safety equipment is provided and maintained in accordance with ACTED standards.
4- Movement control:
- Maintain security clearance system for movements between sub-bases across assigned area of responsibility. Track all official ACTED movements within Eastern Region. Maintain security clearance system and tracking for all movements of international staff within assigned area of responsibility.
- Manage holdings of radio and satellite phone equipment across area of responsibility, providing up to date information to logistics department for asset management as required. Coordinate the maintenance of radio and satellite communication equipment. Control issue of radio and satellite phone equipment within area of responsibility. Provide training on use of radio equipment and radio voice procedures as required. Establish and maintain radio standard operating procedures across area of responsibility, including callsigns, schedules and reports and returns.
Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential. We go the last kilometer: ACTED’s mission is to save lives and support people in meeting their needs in hard to reach areas. ACTED develops and implements programs that target the most vulnerable amongst populations that have suffered from conflict, natural disaster, or socio-economic hardship. ACTED’s approach looks beyond the immediate emergency towards opportunities for longer term livelihoods reconstruction and sustainable development. ACTED is active in 35 countries and implements more than 495 projects a year reaching over 11 million beneficiaries with 400 international staff and 4,300 national staff. ACTED is working in 14 north, north eastern and East & West provinces of Afghanistan. These provinces are affected by natural and man-made disasters. ACTED is providing relief and emergency assistance to the vulnerable population affected by displacements, conflicts or natural disasters, in the field of agriculture, NFI, shelters, WASH and food security
- Graduated from High School or /Diploma in the same field would be desirable Minimum of 3 years of experience in relevant field Previous experience of physical security (guarding, CCTV monitoring, security-related driving, etc) Good organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills Familiarity with the aid system and humanitarian principles is an advantage Ability to work both independently, and as part of a team Knowledge of radio communications systems Knowledge of the security environment in region provinces. Fluency in Dari/Pashto and working knowledge of English required. Fluency in other regional languages is an advantage Experience and training in NGO safety and security an advantage
No. Of Jobs
Years of Experience
Minimum of 3 years of experience in relevant field
6 Months (Extendable)
Based on ACTED’s salary scale
Those who fulfill the above-mentioned criteria should send their updated CV to below submission Email: email@example.com Kindly mentioned Vacancy number, position title along with province name in subject line or your application may not be considered. Please do not send heavy size documents (i.e. Tazkira, Education documents, and work certificates) Only shortlisted candidates will be call for the next stage of recruitment. No CV will be received after closing date.