Clinical Specialists/Mentors will be based in each of the Nahias/cities and will work with a team
to implement integrated whole team, on-site mentoring to improve the quality of care and strengthen
the delivery of health services at selected Tertiary, Secondary and Primary Health Facilities
(Public and Private).
• Position Reports to Cluster associate managers in Kabul, Herat, Mazar-e-Sharif, Jalalabad, and
• Position level: Supervisory
• Location: Kabul (4), Herat (2), Mazar-e-Sharif (2), Jalalabad (2) and Kandahar (2)
• Advocate for mentorship and discuss with hospital /facility management for buy-in
to onsite mentoring and quality improvement
• Support formation of facility quality child health improvement team and selection of onsite
clinical representative/focal point for the mentorship program
• Facilitate initial assessment, analysis, and action plan for improvement of service delivery
and data strengthening in child health service delivery
• Develop a detailed mentoring schedule for routine visits to each facility including service
delivery improvement plan follow up, learning activities, and data review
• Support preparation for learning sessions (e.g. training materials, care of models, supplies,
• Facilitate monthly mentoring visits for quality improvement, learning sessions, and data
• Role model behavior and practices (e.g. respectful care) and provision of clinical care and
• Support the hospital’s treatment centers (IMNCI in OPD, triage, ORT corner, emergency care,
• Strengthen community-based referral system for major child health problems, including
malnutrition, diarrhea, pneumonia, measles, etc).
• Support the team on community awareness and SBC common child health problems, including
• Ensure the availability of facility-based IMNCI, FBNC, ETAT services, and
Early Childhood Development/Care for Child Development.
• Work with onsite clinical for a mentorship program to plan for on-site practice
• Coordinate mobile phone-based mentoring to service providers and support practice of skills
Urban Health Initiative
The USAID funded Urban Health Initiative (UHI) Program’s goal is to improve health outcomes of people living in urban areas, particularly focusing on the health of women and children and other vulnerable populations. Interventions aim to increase demand, access and quality of health services. Lead by Jhpiego and implemented by a dynamic consortium of organizations, UHI is implemented in five cities in Afghanistan – Kabul, Herat, Mazar-e-Sharif, Jalalabad and Kandahar
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Graduate degree – child health/pediatrics specialist with at least 5 years clinical experience in child
health, focused on under-five child health and newborn health
Previous experience with conducting competency-based training and providing supportive
supervision is advantageous
Ability to work successfully in teams, across a diverse team in a complex environment with multiple
tasks, short deadlines, and intense pressure to perform
Strong skills in facilitation, team building, and coordination
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including strong writing, analytical, and
communication skills in Dari, Pashtu, and English (preferable)
Experience working with Microsoft Office software applications (Excel, Word, Outlook Explorer,
PowerPoint) is advantageous
No. Of Jobs
Years of Experience
Previous experience with conducting competency-bas
NTA pay scale
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package including: paid vacation, holidays and sick leave and more.
Send resumes to Recruitment-AF@jhpiego.org . For further information about Jhpiego, visit our website at www.jhpiego.org
Note: Please mention the job title and vacancy number of the position on your email subject line otherwise your application will not be considered . The successful candidate selected for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
Jhpiego is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer!