- Under the supervision of the Director of WPMD and in close cooperation with the counterpart WPMD authorities/staff, the Environmental and Social Safeguard Officer is responsible to ensure selected projects comply with the requirements and procedures of the Government of Afghanistan Land Management Law, Land Acquisition Law, relevant policy and regulation, Implementation of the relevant objectives/activities of the “Water Program Management director (WPMD) specifically consisting of the following:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Environmental and Social Safeguard Officer will be responsible:
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of environmental social management plan and site specific environmental social management plan in the construction site during construction to be consistent with Government requirements
- Assist in the review and development process of the current Environmental and Social Safeguards guideline in consultation with donors and stakeholder
- Assist in preparing monthly monitoring reports of the ESMP.
- Undertake an environmental and social risk categorization;
- Provide technical support during proposal development, project design, appraisal process and resource mobilization plan for the sub projects in all locations;
- Closely provide assistance and deliver capacity building training to the field teams to close knowledge/skill gaps and minimize the likelihood of risks to happen to sub projects;
- Ensure that appropriate environmental and social mitigation measures are proposed and met;
- To ensure GRM are existed and the complaints of stakeholder are recorded in the log book.
- To ensure all complaints are shared with Environmental specialist for farther process.
- Monitor and evaluate the project impacts on private lands and other assets.
- Monitor and follow up the compensation payment process for the affected household with relevant department.
- Conduct consultations with stakeholders – including private sector and local farmer’s groups as well as communities, to elicit the views of both male, and female stakeholders,
- Undertake daily monitoring and evaluation of project activities against standards of the safeguard guideline.
- Make sure that project(s) implementation does not negatively impact the surrounding environment
- Prepare Environmental and Social safeguard Plans and ensure that such plans are approved by relevant authorities before implementation;
- Identify challenges, opportunities, priorities and needs for the development and implementation of the project’s safeguard Plan and implementation at all levels;
- Analyze environmental and social developments and provide technical and substantive support in setting targets for the realization of the goal of building a climate resilient green economy;
- To ensure the contractor shall, having regard to local conditions, provide on the site an adequate supply of drinking water for the workers;
- Undertake census and inventory of lost assets (in terms of loss of homes, agricultural and other lands; or less of access to current income-generating activities, including impacts caused by permanent or temporary acquisition) of affected people and a baseline socioeconomic survey of the affected populations;
- This position reports to the Water Programs Management (WPM) in National Water Affair Regulatory Authority (NWARA).
In accordance with the Decree 36 of the presidential office of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan in view of national politics and strategy of the country during 1398, the National Water Affairs Regulation Authority (NWARA) has been established from one existing ministry: Ministry of Energy and Water.
The Government of Afghanistan has identified the rehabilitation and expansion of the country’s physical infrastructure as one of its highest priorities for the reconstruction and development of Afghanistan. As part of the basic economic infrastructure of the country, the water sector occupies special prominence in the Government’s development plans. Several major Water sector projects, funded by the National Development Budget and by international financial institutions and donors, are presently under implementation and planning under the general oversight of the National Water Affairs Regulation Authority (NWARA).
Given the technical complexity of the Water sector and the particular demands posed by the coordination of the projects that are being funded by various sources, the NWARA assists its administration that will be based in Kabul and will reinforce NWARA in its internal and external activities and projects smoothness and speediness in fulfilling its obligations for water sector development.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor of environmental science, Water resources or equivalent qualification with 4 years of relevant experience in donor funded projects. Master will be given preference.
- Working knowledge of English and good command of national languages (Dari/Pashtu) required.
- Good communication skills.
- Skilled in the use of general office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Familiarity with Afghanistan environmental and land acquisition legislations.
- Strong communication, negotiating skills and good interpersonal relations.
No. Of Jobs
Years of Experience
As per NTA Scale (Grade D)
Interested and qualified Individuals who want to apply for the position are required to follow the below instructions:
Write Application Letter explaining your suitability for the position.
Fill NWARA/MSU Job Application Form.
Send your Letter and Application Form, Education certificate and experience document in one single document (PDF). CV is not acceptable only fill the Application letter, Otherwise Cv will be ignored without any consideration.
Indicate Position Title and Vacancy No. on the subject line of the Email.
Only short listed candidates whose education and experiences correspond to the job requirements will be contacted for further steps.
Incomplete and wrong applications will be ignored without any consideration.
National Water Affairs Regulation Authority is an equal opportunity employer.
Download the Application format and Job Application Form from below links: Page number #2 /Application Number #15
The candidates who send their Application Form without any supporting document will be omitted from the process
Applicants can submit their applications hard copies to the following address:
Human Resources Section of National Water Affairs Regulation Authority Support Unit
National Water Affairs Regulation Authority
District #7 Dar-Ul-Aman Road,:
Mohebullah Majrooh +93(0)789777778/775666111
Mohammad Naser Moradi +93(0)744252320