The Division of Science, Technology and Mathematics (STM) at the American University of Afghanistan in Kabul, Afghanistan (AUAF) seeks ONE open rank full-time, a non-tenure-track faculty member in all areas of Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, and Statistics. The position is a one-year renewable, with the potential to be converted to a multi-year position. This appointment will begin in August 2020, which is the AUAFs Fall semester. The successful applicant is expected to reside in Kabul, Afghanistan.
Key outcomes include:
o International quality teaching and learning.
o Scholarship that benefits student learning and the mission of the university.
Advancement of the university through service.
Requires travel to provinces:
Duties & Responsibilities:
Duties and Responsibilities
Faculty fulfill the roles and responsibilities described in the Faculty Handbook and university policies and procedures that detail specific faculty duties. Major responsibilities are listed below.
Except for holidays, university closures, weekends, and other breaks, faculty are expected to be working on campus in Afghanistan during the base contract period. The base contract period refers to an academic year consisting of two semesters, including pre- and post-semester faculty workshops and advising. The contractual period extends from one week before the start of the first semester to one day after spring graduation, which full-time faculty are required to attend.
Teaching and Mentoring
• Teach a 12 credit load each fall and spring semesters, evaluating student work and assessing student learning outcomes.
• Hold regular office hours and work with individual students, acting as an academic mentor.
• Remain engaged and current in the academic profession and her/his discipline.
• Remain scholarly active, contributing scholarship that goes beyond professional engagement to include the creation of intellectual products that are available to internal and/or external audiences.
• Attend division meetings.
• Serve on ad-hoc committees when required.
• Serve on a faculty senate committee.
• Provide academic advising to students assigned.
• Participate in division and university service work.
• Contribute to the overall well-being and development of the university.
• Service to the university includes both internal activities and external outreach on behalf of the institution.
• Service can take many forms, including fostering collegiality, participating in the life of the university, course coordination, assisting in curriculum review, creating new courses, preparing course material to be used actively in related courses, participating actively in committee work, developing the capacity of external stakeholders on the behalf of AUAF, consulting and grant-writing for the university and other external services to the external community as required by the Chair of the Division.
Ø A Doctorate in Ph.D. in Mathematics or related field and demonstrated evidence of effective teaching are required.
Ø Master’s degree in any academic major related to Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, and Statistics with three years of progressive work experience within any of the qualifying fields of Artificial Intelligence and Data Science is required.
Ø Successful candidates at the rank of Assistant Professor and above must have a Ph.D. degree in Mathematics or a much-related discipline from a reputable research university, and a demonstrated ability for research and teaching.
Ø Significant teaching experience in western higher education and evidence of excellence in university teaching.
Ø Excellent oral and written English skills.
Ø Publications and/or other evidence of professional engagement.
Ø Experience teaching in international, multicultural, developing and/or post-conflict settings.
Ø Experience teaching in liberal arts universities, to students across majors.
Ø The proven ability to create and deliver innovative courses in science and quantitative reasoning for the core curriculum and/or to teach a wide selection of courses (mathematics, physics, biology, information technology, quantitative analysis and/or statistics).
Ø Ability to teach a wide selection of courses within the Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, and Statistics, from foundation to senior courses.
Benefits and Environment
This is an exceptional opportunity to work at a recently formed university in an emerging and rapidly changing society.
The American University of Afghanistan offers a generous benefits package that includes a competitive salary, air transportation, university-provided accommodation, and paid international health care insurance for international employees.
International faculty and staff live and work on AUAF’s 50-acre main campus or the 5-acre campus across the street. The AUAF campuses utilize state-of-the-art security infrastructure and protocols and are protected by a large professional security corps. Transportation between the adjacent campuses or to approved locations and the airport is by armored, guarded vehicles.
To apply, please send as a single PDF document: a cover letter, curriculum vitae (CV), statement of teaching purpose, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please, include Vacancy# AF-Int-20-2020 and Job Title “Instructor/Assistant/Associate Professor of Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, and Statistics” in the subject line of the email, otherwise, the application will not be considered. Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. A written test or example of work may be used as a form of screening.
If hired, the successful applicant is expected to provide official proof of academic degrees (transcripts sent from the degree-granting school directly to AUAF).
AUAF does not charge recruitment fees to applicants.
AUAF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. AUAF follows a strict non-discriminatory policy in its selection and employment practices. All applicants will receive equal consideration and applicants from all ethnic, religious and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
AUAF strives to ensure that all employees work in safe environments, but safety and security are to a great degree contingent on various factors within Afghanistan that are outside of AUAF’s control. Applicants should carefully consider and evaluate their safety and security in Afghanistan.
- Address Kabul, Afghanistan
- Experience Level Senior
- Total Years Experience 10-20