To prevent the imminent collapse of Afghanistan’s hospital sector after the change of government in August 2021and with the view to ensuring to the extent feasible the maintenance of access of the Afghan population to essential hospital services, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), in coordination with the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH), decided to provide financial support to mid and large size District, Provincial, Regional and National Public Hospitals across the country. The financial support includes the purchase of medicines, medical consumables by the MoPH.
Purpose of the job
The pharmacist is the ICRC official representative to the MoPH regarding:
- The procurement of pharmaceutical, consumables and laboratory items.
- The management and organization of orders between the MoPH, the ICRC and the suppliers.
- The control of quality prior to the distribution of items to the hospitals.
- Understanding and advising regarding pharmaceutical legislation and regulations
Main Responsibilities: Functional Responsibilities:
- Understands and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Understands and adheres to the ICRC Code of Conduct.
- Understands the roles of the components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Respects and observes staff regulations and security rules at all times.
- Represents the ICRC in a professional manner at all times.
- Develops and maintains a pleasant and conducive working environment with colleagues and line managers.
- Performs all duties with the highest level of confidentiality in the interest of the employees and the ICRC.
- May be asked to perform tasks not covered in this job description and to provide support to other departments when necessary.
A – Procurement
All the following responsibilities will require close cooperation with the MoPH and the Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE):
- Compilation and continual review of lists of pharmaceutical, consumables and laboratory items for publication in upcoming Requests for Tender (RfTs), as per Afghan National Drugs lists, as well as the collected requests from the hospitals, the MoPH and the ICRC hospital administrators.
- Conducts market assessments of pharmaceutical and consumable products on the Afghan market in order to understand item specifications, item available and current pricing levels.
- Participate in the drafting of RfTs, fixing selection criteria, opening and bid evaluation committees as well as conducting evaluations of supplier capacities and visits to their premises. Ensure that Selection Tables are complete and supplier selection is conducted in an logical manner.
- Ensure that the procurement process is conducted in a manner that achieves the 7Rs of procurement: Getting the Right product, in the Right quantity, in the Right condition, at the Right place, at the Right time, to the Right customer, at the Right price.
- May negotiate purchase conditions and delivery terms in order to ensure value for money for the ICRC and its partners.
- Ensure that drugs, consumables and lab items are bought in accordance with the procurement rules of the ICRC and the MoPH. Stays updated on Afghan pharmaceutical legislation and regulations.
- Develops and maintains a network of procurement-related contacts. Identifies Good Distribution Practices suppliers.
B – Order Management
- Maintain a register of all Purchase Orders (POs) generated for the project and ensure that it is regularly updated. Provide PO numbers to the MoPH procurement department for the creation of future POs.
- Verification of POs created by the MoPH Procurement department, for errors. Ensure that the POs are correctly numbered, that the prices conform to the Framework Agreement, and that the quantities of items have been correctly estimated.
- Follow up complaints from the hospitals and ensure that the MoPH is informed in order that they may act.
- Liaise with the manufacturer/supplier regarding the delivery of items ordered by the MoPH procurement departments and proactively solve problems related to orders.
- Ensure that the process flow of information and orders is well-understood and followed by each component
- Ensure that procurement processes and orders of drugs and consumables are conducted as per ICRC’s Memorandum of Understanding with the MoPH and MoHE and in accordance with the framework contracts between the ministries and their suppliers.
- Ensure that all deviations from the MoUs are documented and mitigation measures are put in place.
C – Relations and Interaction
The pharmacist is part of the Hospital Resilience Support Program (HRSP) team.
- Internally, interacts with logistics department and staff in the health department.
- Externally, interacts with the medical equipment and procurement departments at the MoPH and the MoHE. Interacts also with suppliers.
- Acts as the ICRC official representative to the MoPH regarding pharmaceutical legislation and regulations.
- Acts as responsible person, and reports to the HRSP manager for all medical quality assurance activities and issues.
- Active representation of the ICRC in the Joint Procurement Committee at MoPH; proactively finding solutions to logistics/pharmacological problems and capacity-building of the committee.
- Represents the ICRC during Quality Control (QC) visits prior to delivery. The candidate should be able to provide guidance to and build the capacity of the other members of the QC committee.
- Follow-up and ensure that all required documentation is provided by the supplier for all items ordered before the quality control visit.
- Participates in quality control related meetings with the MoPH and MoHE procurement department.
D – Institutional reporting and documentation
- Contributes to key strategy, planning and reporting documents for the ICRC HRSP (strategic and operational plans and quarterly reports).
- Contributes to the ICRC weekly operational report and other institutional reporting.
- Follows up reporting statistic with colleagues and ensures reporting is shared.
E – Additional duties
- Follows up on all work-related messages and correspondence with the relevant contacts and departments.
- Is aware of the sub-delegation’s objectives and has a good knowledge of the Movement and other contacts relevant to the position.
- Collects and shares information to improve the ICRC’s understanding of the environment and humanitarian trends and responses.
- Takes responsibility for her/his own professional learning and development.
The ICRC is a neutral, impartial and independent organization. Its exclusive humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflicts and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance. The ICRC endeavors to alleviate suffering by promoting and strengthening humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles.
- Doctor degree in Pharmacology.
- Very good command of spoken and written English; Knowledge of Pashtun and Dari.
- 3 years practical experience in the procurement of drugs and medical consumables.
- Ability to interpret certificates of origin and analysis to detect authenticity or defect.
- Ability to conduct visual inspections of medicines and consumable items in order to detect product authenticity or defect.
- Ability to verify, report and pursue the validation of substitute items if different from that originally agreed in a Framework Agreement.
No. Of Jobs
Years of Experience
3 years practical experience in the procurement of drugs and medical consumables.
According to the ICRC salary scale
- Online registration link: QR code:
Clearly indicate vacancy number (PHB313072022) in the email subject line, CVs not mentioning the vacancy number in subject line, will not be considered. Complete files matching with the profile will be considered and only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Important Notice: Make sure your full name is matching to your email address, your CV and the online application you fill, or your application will not be accepted using different names. The ICRC values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates’ Female & People Living with Disability applicants encouraged to apply”. CV’s received will be subject to the rules of the Data Protection of the ICRC (Data Controller) and will only be used for the purpose they were sent for and will not be kept after the end of the process or shared with third parties without consent of the sender. https://www.icrc.org/en/publication/4261-icrc-rules-on-personal-data-protection#
Important Notice: The ICRC recently noticed that a number of individuals and online pages are offering fake services in the name of the organization in return for money. Please note that all ICRC services are completely free of charge and at no point the organization or its staff would ask for money be it during its recruitment process or any other services in the country. Please remain cautious and avoid sharing your personal information through online links. We thank you in advance for your understanding. اطلاعیه مهم: کمیته بین المللی صلیب سرخ (آی سی آر سی) اخیراً متوجه شده است که تعدادی از افراد و صفحات آنلاین در بدل دریافت پول خدمات جعلی را به نام این سازمان ارایه میکنند. لطفاً ، متوجه باشید که همه خدمات آی سی آر سی کاملاً رایگان است و این سازمان یا کارمندان آن هیچ وقت درخواست پول را در مراحل استخدام یا انجام خدمات دیگر در کشور نمیکنند. لطفاً محتاط باشید و از شریک ساختن معلومات شخصی در لینک های آنلاین خودداری نمایید. پیشاپیش از شما سپاسگزار استیم. مهمه خبرتیا: پدې وروستیو کې د سره صلیب نړیوالې کمېټې (آی سي آر سي) ولیدل چې یو شمیر کسان او آنلاین پاڼې د پیسو په بدل کې د دغه سازمان په نوم جعلي خدمتونه وړاندې کوي. مهرباني وکړئ په یاد ولرئ چې د آی سي آر سي ټول خدمات په بشپړ ډول وړیا دي او دغه سازمان یا کارکونکي یې د ګومارنې په بهیر کې یا په هیواد کې د نورو خدماتو په بدل کې هیڅ وخت د پیسو غوښتنه نه کوي. مهرباني وکړئ محتاط اوسئ او د آنلاین لینکونو له لارې د خپلو شخصي معلوماتو له شریکولو څخه ډډه وکړئ. موږ ستاسو د پوهیدو لپاره د مخه منندوی یو. Submission Email: