- Support the Director for Programmes in preparing Country Strategies and Plans that will make a positive difference to the lives of people, families and communities, paying special attention to gender equality and youth. In close collaboration with Cordaid Global Office (GO) sector experts, develop and implement an appropriate and effective strategy and associated plans for Humanitarian Aid (HA) responses through programmes and projects setting clear objectives, realistic timelines, full cost recovery budgets and key performance indicators. In close collaboration with GO sector experts, lead the diversification and growth of Cordaid’s relief portfolio within Afghanistan with a focus on quality and impact, by : building and strengthening strategic partnerships through active networking, advocacy and effective communication of Cordaid competencies and track record in delivering humanitarian projects and programmes efficiently and effectively; developing concepts and quality proposals that consider multiple sectors and integration of various thematic areas in which Cordaid has developed a comparative advantage, which attract donor interest and/or respond to competitive sourcing in the market place; communicating results, outcomes and impacts in quantifiable and qualitative terms.
Provide strategic and technical guidance on key components of relief work to foster good practices and ensure that humanitarian and protection minimum standards are met in all sectors. Conduct regular field visits to monitor the progress of programmes and projects on the ground and ensure effective oversight of and support of local partners taking corrective action with minimal delay. Maintain effective coordination with other Programme Managers and with Regional Field Coordinators to enable the development of an integrated and innovative portfolio. Maintain effective coordination with the PMEAL manager to ensure timely and correct measurement of results, outcomes and impacts and to facilitate learning towards continuous improvements in the design and delivery of programmes and projects. Build effective Humanitarian Aid Programmes and Projects
- Build well-functioning Humanitarian Aid Programme and Project Management teams, and mentor their Managers reporting to her/him. Ensure active participation in relevant cluster and other coordination or emergency working groups meetings representing Cordaid and following-up on key issues with GO sector experts. Analyze trends and identify issues within the relief programmatic and operational environment on the basis of regular updates from UNOCHA, ECHO, the Humanitarian Cluster and other sources. Utilize data and analyses to build and finetune responsive programmes and projects that effectively address relief and resilience needs of IDPs, Returnees and their host communities, as well as other Communities and Vulnerable Groups. Ensure timely information on progress and results is available by compiling, organizing, analyzing, monitoring, and preparing data for situation reports, fact sheets, donor reports, briefing notes, and other reporting and communications products, including pictures and videos. Monitor humanitarian contexts in the field in a consistent and proactive manner and in close coordination with the Programme Manager for Resilience by: ensuring prompt reporting of disaster risks and challenges, and liaising with other external parties as appropriate to maintain and enhance the security environment for Humanitarian Aid and Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) programmes operating in humanitarian settings.
Undertake regular field visits to gather information on results related to relief activities to ensure that all relevant data from the field is captured, documented and reported in a timely and results-based manner for key stakeholders (donors, clusters, etc.) and for internal purposes. Prepare fact based messages and quality material for distribution through social and printed media that effectively communicates to external audiences the challenges as well as results achieved in preparing for and responding to crises. Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with assigned programme staff, GO sector experts and other key stakeholders (beneficiaries, implementing partners, local and national government officials, UN agencies, Embassies, NGOs, etc.), with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships. Ensure quality project management compliance with scope, time and budgets, by: adherence to project management policies, procedures and practices in accordance with agreed standards and requirements. preparing and implementing project and programme plans that include clear objectives, realistic timelines, full cost recovery budgets and key performance indicators. ensuring the timely and cost-effective implementation of programmes and projects within approved budgets that meet or exceed client expectations. ensuring timely and accurate tracking of results, analysis of inputs versus outputs and outcomes, and effective results based reporting. Supervise and support local partners and develop partner monitoring and capacity building tools that enable quality, results orientation and integrity in the delivery of programmes and projects through contractual arrangements with local partners. Ensure effective risk assessment and management of programmes and projects. Ensure effective risk assessment and management of consortium and implementing partners. Decide, plan and organize internal meetings, retreats, teleconferences etc. to ensure regular communication with colleagues, clients, partners and other counterparts. Manage Programme Resources
- Enforce management of resources in accordance with Cordaid standards of ethics, integrity and financial sustainability. Plan, recruit and develop personnel/technical experts with the skills and competencies needed to ensure optimum performance and encouraging the formation of diverse teams in terms of gender and other diversity indicators. Stimulate teamwork, collaboration and diversity by providing the programme and project teams in Kabul and in the field with clear directions, objectives and guidance to enable them to perform their duties responsibly, effectively and efficiently. Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both women and men, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed. Plan, conduct and/or respond to Cordaid performance evaluation reviews and surveys. Act as Project Manager adhering to specific terms of reference in addition to regular Programme Manager responsibilities as and when necessary.
Support Effective Security in the Field
- Work closely with the Country Security Advisor and the Security Advisor for Programmes to ensure that security policies, procedures, practices and capacities support “direct implementation” in the field taking into account the need to deliver quality services to people, families and communities while facilitating “Duty of Care” for Cordaid staff. Work closely with communities supported by programmes and projects implemented by Cordaid in developing effective mechanisms to prevent and resolve (potential) conflicts and harm to Cordaid staff in an expedient and effective manner. Prevent incidents through “community acceptance” and resolve incidents through “community engagement”.
Contribute to Knowledge Management and Innovation
- Contribute to the development and introduction of innovation to ensure Cordaid is continually incorporating best practice approaches in Country Office operations. Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for corporate development planning and knowledge building and, contribute to relevant Communities of Experts and Communities of Practice accordingly. At the request of the Deputy Country Director for Programmes and in collaboration with the Operations Managers, plan, implement and organize strategic capacity building of project staff, partners and other stakeholders.
Undertake other duties as may be assigned by the Deputy Country Director for Programmes The successful delivery of results by the Programme Manager directly impacts the performance of programmes and projects implemented by Cordaid as well as its reputation as an effective partner in achieving positive results that lead to flourishing communities in fragile settings.
Cordaid is an internationally operating value-based emergency relief and development organisation, working in and on fragility.
The organisation was established in 2000, when several Dutch aid organizations joined forces. But our history goes back more than a century. Cordaid has changed over the years, the organisation now is focusing more on the localisation of its operations and programmes to empower local human capacities and knowledge in serving communities and people. Reducing fragility has become our core priority and we work in all contexts of fragility, from relief, through rehabilitation to long-term development. To do this effectively we seek funds, start partnerships, and compete on a global market.
We believe in a world where people can break through barriers of poverty and exclusion, influence decisions that affect them and participate in equitable and resilient societies. A world with an economy not driven by greed and growth, but by inclusivity, social justice, and gender equality. That world is our goal. We work towards it in everything we do.
Cordaid has been active in Afghanistan since 2001, working for a stable and prosperous country. Abiding by the humanitarian principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence, Cordaid is committed to stand by the people of Afghanistan and deliver its lifesaving support.
Cordaid through its work and need-based programming, is committed to delivering lifesaving, resilience, and development assistance to the people of Afghanistan.
- Master’s degree in political or social science, international studies, international humanitarian and human rights law, or other subject related to international cooperation, A Bachelor’s degree is acceptable if complemented with five years of professional experience that combines strategic and managerial leadership in business development and/or programme management, Knowledge about the humanitarian aid strategies, policies and procedures of the Government of Afghanistan and humanitarian organisations in (incl. clusters, etc.) and with excellent relationships in place, At least seven years of professional experience in humanitarian affairs, emergency preparedness, crisis/emergency relief planning/management and programme development/implementation, Good capacity building and management skills, including human resource and financial management, communications and intercultural cooperation skills, A networker, diplomatic and results oriented, with the ability to work under stressful and time bound project conditions, Flexible and capable of working in a stressful context, Good oral and written communication skills in English language, Good oral and written communication skills in Dari or Pashtun language.
- Ability to lead and manage a diverse group of colleagues to achieve results in a responsible and collaborative manner through clear direction, supervision and modeling behavior. Ability to clearly and convincingly communicate ideas and concepts in writing and orally. Ability to go beyond established procedures and models, and to introduce new approaches and strategic innovations. Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with NGOs, International Organizations, and other partners to promote partnerships and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies.
Competencies Core Competencies:
- Excellent interpersonal, co-ordination and negotiation skills, and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity. Strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, creativity and innovation, learning, accountability, planning and organization, results orientation, teamwork and technological solutions.
Functional Competencies Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in Cordaid and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example. Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting. Good knowledge of humanitarian preparedness, emergency relief, and related human rights issues; Good knowledge of institutional mandates, policies and guidelines pertaining to humanitarian affairs and other related issues, such as disaster risk reduction; taking into consideration specific roles and mandates of NGO, UN and other partners. Good knowledge in project management (from design to implementation to closure, incl. evaluation).
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback. Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude. Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities. Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills.
No. Of Jobs
Years of Experience
Bachelor’s Degree: 7 years of experience, Masters: 5 Years of Experience
NTA Salary Scale
- Please submit your CV and cover letter in one PDF file. Your email subject should be CRD00138/22 otherwise, it will not be considered as valid application. Please note that applications received after the closing date and without the Subject line will not be given consideration. Only shortlisted candidates whose application meets the above criteria will be contacted for test/interview. Note: Only application send to the below address will be considered. Applications send to any other address even within the organization cannot be considered.