- Ensure that the project produces required products within the specified tolerance of time, cost, quality, scope, risk, and benefits. Contribute to the overall management targets and needs under the overall supervision of the ORD WASH Specialist/Program Manager. Review and update the Action Plans provided by the Senior Monitoring Engineers and Provincial Monitoring Engineers for effective implementation of the project. Carry out technical monitoring and quality assurance of the WASH activities and construction works of rural and semi-urban WASH projects funded by UNICEF Afghanistan and implemented by MRRD/PRRDs, ministry of education and INGOs/NNGOs in coordination with related government departments and the Implementing Partners (IPs). Support development, planning, and implementation of activities aiming at improving sustainability of WASH activities including hygiene education, operations and maintenance of the facilities. Development of training materials for establishment and training Water Management Committees, Operation and Maintenance Committees, and on-the-job trainings for technicians in close consultation with the UNICEF Country Office and MRRD. Support project management works with stakeholders and partners (NGOs, private consultants, and contracting companies). Assist in determining capacity, gaps, and support capacity development of government and/or non-governmental partners in close coordination with the UNICEF Country Office. Review and provide inputs on WASH program related monitoring and quality assurance activities to track progress and evaluate results. Work on methodology for baseline studies, monitoring tools, technical assessments for WASH infrastructures, hygiene and sanitation practices on the community level. Facilitate project closure, handover, and manage quarterly reporting to the UNICEF Country Office, MRRD and relevant PRRDs.
- Establish solid working relationship with the project board (Executive, Senior Users and Senior Suppliers), clients and key stakeholders. Ability of enhanced coordination of monitoring and quality assurance activities with the implementing entities and UNICEF Zonal Offices to ensure the quality of the WASH projects deliverables. Manage communications and ensure stakeholders are aware of the project activities, progress, exceptions and are in a position to accept handover products. Advise the client on issues that may impact the achievement of their outcomes (including issues of sustainability and post project requirements such as maintenance). Manage the information flows between the ORD Kabul Management Office, UNICEF, MRRD/PRRDs, IPs, and other stakeholders.
- Lead and motivate the project management team. Ensure that behavioral expectations of the team members are properly established. Ensure that project staff performance reviews are conducted. Identify outstanding staff and bring them to the attention of the ORD’s management. In close coordination with the ORD’s senior management, select, recruit, and train team as required by project plans. Perform the Team Manager role, unless appointed to another person(s). Perform Project Support role, unless appointed to another person or corporate/program function. Ensure safety and security for all personnel deployed. Ensure proper management of the financial resources of the entrusted project and budget follow-up. Ensure integrity of financial systems, review of budget requirements and the consistent application of the financial regulations and donor’s requirements. Assist in procurement and logistical services management Management of the contract strategy including tendering processes and evaluation, managing the contract, as well as legal implications. Oversight of procurement processes and logistical services. Establish procurement procedures for deployment of the equipment as stipulated in the project agreement (vehicles, smartphones, computers and other equipment as described therein). Ensure proper management of project assets, facilities, and logistical services. Provide integrated administrative support to staff and service providers in terms of premises, maintenance, logistics, office space, equipment, supplies, contract processing, reporting, and control.
Monitoring and Progress Controls:
- Timely and accurate reporting to donors and clients on project progress. Timely administration of project agreements including budget adjustments, amendments, and official correspondence with donors. Development of harmonized monitoring, evaluation, and reporting tools and procedures.
Organization for Relief Development (ORD) is an Afghan non-profit, non-sectarian, and non-political humanitarian organization founded in 2010. ORD’s goal is to support sustainable development by building social and economic capacity – including infrastructure – in Afghan rural communities. ORD believes that communities should be at the center of any successful development strategy. ORD has worked in social and rural development as well as implementing emergency and humanitarian projects in highly unstable areas and vulnerable communities of Afghanistan.
- Ability of managing project commitments, ensure effective application of project management tools, and monitor achievement of results and other benchmarks. Ensure timely preparation and submittal of comprehensive project visit-wise reports, quarterly reports, and final reports on a regular basis or as may be requested on an ad-hoc basis by the supervisors and/or project stakeholders. Ensure the effective and accurate archiving of project material, reports, artifacts, and documents in accordance with the accepted standards. Ensure effective management and operations of the ORD site offices, supervision and oversight of the ORD national field WASH staff. Ensure effective coordination of project activities with all project stakeholders, including the Donor, Clients (government counterparts) and Local Communities. Mitigate environmental, heritage and cultural impacts related to the project implementation activities. Issue site instructions, variation orders, provisional sum orders and day work orders as appropriate and in consultation with the WASH Specialist. Ensure any communications and grievances raised by those affected are promptly addressed and conveyed to the relevant authorities.
- Minimum Master Degree in Civil Engineering or Hydraulic Engineering and/or other relevant field. Professional Certificate in Project Management and/or a bachelor or master degree in Business Administration, or Social Science would be an asset. Professional certificate in M&E will be an asset.
Work Experience and Language Requirements:
- Minimum 10 – 12 years of professional Project Management experience with national or international organizations. Experience in implementing, designing, or coordinating WASH programs. Familiarity with the community-based WASH pipe scheme projects, hygiene & sanitation programs, and with a diversity of distributing hygiene and Covid-19 kits for rural communities. Ability to effectively coordinate with the government, NGOs, and local stakeholders where an understanding of the sector coordination mechanisms will be an asset. Analytical and conceptual ability, demonstrated understanding of survey, design, and monitoring social research methods to understand hygiene and sanitation behavioral change. Technical experience in construction and monitoring of WASH projects in Afghanistan. Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive and constructive attitude. Ability to develop, maintain, and supervise accountability systems for materials and services. Ability to manage and mentor a technical team by demonstrating resourceful leadership and management. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity and inclusion. Excellent communication skills (spoken, written and presentational), including ability to present sensitive issues/positions and to write technical reports quantitatively justified. Advanced verbal and written English skills, fluency in Pashto or Dari languages. Strong negotiating skills and ability to influence others to reach agreement. Proficiency in usage of computers, office software packages and advance project management software as well as handling of web-based management system, competent user of project control software, such as MS Project. Experience in conducting capacity development in WASH on the local and sector levels. Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
- Can develop and implement sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipate and perceive the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization. Ability of treating all individuals with respect, responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Uphold organizational and ethical norms and to maintain high standards of trustworthiness and used to be a role model for diversity and inclusion. Can act as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit and collaborates and supports the development of others. Ability of acting as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrate understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Build and maintain strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establish an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them as well as understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Can properly reflect on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure and always pursues continuous improvements. Proven ability to evaluate data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Taking an unbiased, and rational approach with calculated risks and applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Can express ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner where communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listen and proactively share knowledge. Handle conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
No. Of Jobs
Years of Experience
Minimum 10 – 12 years of professional Project Management experience
Two years (initial two months as probationary period)
According to the available project fund
Interested qualified applicants must submit their CV and application letter as a single file with a subject line ORD-2021-VA-042 to email@example.com on or before the closing date. No late submission will be entertained.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified for written test and interview.