Title: Defense Lawyer
Dept. / Location: WPC/FGC-Farah-Afghanistan
Reports to: Provincial Representative & Senior Legal Advisor
Description: The Defense Lawyer is responsible to carry out all duties and responsibilities with direct supervision of the Provincial Representative and Senior Legal Advisor.
- The defense lawyer will be duty bound to follow all the administrative rules and regulations of VWO and the donor stipulations for the project.
- Conduct research and analyze a case to determine a probable outcome while devising an effective strategy to defend the clients in court.
- Interpret laws for clients and help them to understand their legal options.
- Aim to resolve cases as quickly and favorably as possible.
- Represent clients at arraignments, hearings, and court trials.
- Present evidence to a judge and/or jury should the case go to trial.
- Prepare and draft legal documents, including legal briefs and appeals.
- Consult the families and individuals and provide them with the best possible legal advice for the resolution of their cases.
- Organize family counseling and mediation sessions for the clients’ families to solve their problems accordingly.
- Perform defense investigations professionally and actively participate in judicial sessions for the follow up of the clients’ cases.
- Coordinate with all the partner organizations and stakeholders to sort out all legal matters and complete legal procedures pertaining to the clients’ cases.
- Conduct public awareness campaigns and programs as well as conduct capacity building trainings for the project’s stakeholders.
- Ensure proper means of verification, process of documentation and resource utilization for each activity.
- Coordinate with the project supervisor to determine the sharing of workload among colleagues and allocating number of cases to each member of the team.
- Produce a comprehensive report of each individual case upon completion as well as monthly progress reports of the activities carried out.
- Perform any other relevant assignments/duties that might be assigned by the direct supervisor.
Voice of Women Organization (VWO) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-partisan organization that strives for the revival of women’s role in Afghan societies through advocacy of women right, legal, social protection and capacity of women. VWO has offices in Herat, Badghis, Farah, Nimrooz, Ghor and Kabul. So the main office is based in Herat, the Kabul office is responsible for some programmatic activities in the central region.
Position Requirements: (Qualifications)
- Bachelor degree from Law or Sharia faculties, having Master degree is preferred
- (Minimum) 3 years of relevant experience
- Having Defense Lawyer license to defend and resolve the clients’ cases
- Having excellent oral and written communication skills in Dari, Pashto, (Balochi and English is desirable)
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Adaptable, with a strong attention to detail
No. Of Jobs
Years of Experience
(Minimum) 3 years of relevant experience
10 Months extendable
As per VWO salary Scale
Interested candidates who can meet the criteria must send their updated CV to the following email address mentioned in this announcement. Please refuse sending of big size file such of certificates and other extra documents. Keep in mind to write the Vacancy number (VWO-227) in the subject line of your email.