The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Afghanistan, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance. The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
General Position Summary
The Regional Finance Coordinator (RFC) main responsibilities are to coordinate and support the field offices on all aspects of financial management of the programs, ensuring compliance with Mercy Corps internal policies and procedures as well as donor regulations, with the delegation from the Country Office in Kabul. All technical implementations, guidance and trainings in the field offices are to be conducted through the Regional Finance Coordinator in support of the Regional Director and Mercy Corps strategic and operational objectives.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Oversee and manage daily regional offices accounting, cash management and finance functions
- Coordinate and Support the Project/Program managers to ensure monthly accurate projections of forecast to ensure budget follow up and expenditures
- Provide support and work closely with the Region Director for all Financial aspects
- Manage and lead the full process of the regional monthly accounting close process, with supporting documentation
- Effectively stay abreast of donor policies, procedures, rules and regulations; compile and update applicable local policies; and train Mercy Corps program and partner staff in these policies.
- Coordinate and Support Program Managers in the Region in drafting planned budget proposal
- Conduct field visits to ensure Financial Compliance and identify gaps for further improvement and trainings in consistency, robustness and reliability of Mercy Corps Financial systems and procedures.
- Responsible to lead and prevent fraudulent activities as per Mercy Corps policies through the Risk Management framework
- Ensure timely and accurate monthly financial reporting to the Country Office
- Perform financial reviews of relevant financial requests to ensure compliance with MC Policies and Procedures and as per established Approval Matrix
- All other duties as assigned by the Line manager
Leadership and Team Management
- Leading and managing the staff of the assigned regional finance units by exemplifying a collaborative and professional team culture.
- Coach and develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
- Motivate, influence and engage staff in the investment of Mercy Corps culture, mission and vision.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct elearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis
- 4-6 years’ experience in accounting, grants and financial management, preferably with a local and/or international NGO
- An advanced degree and/or an equivalent of at least 4 years of relevant experience with recognised accounting qualifications
- Minimum 2 years in a managerial leadership position
- Adequate understanding of donor rules and regulations is required
- Previous experience with Mercy Corps is an advantage
- Strong skills in accounting management
- Demonstrated ability and skills in financial reporting and presentation
- Proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports
- Fluency in English (Verbal and in writing)
- Attention to detail, following procedures, meeting deadlines and working and problem-solving independently and cooperatively.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks and prioritize effectively
- Proven ability to inspire, motivate, coach and manage a dynamic and diverse team through coaching leadership and professionalism
- Knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
- Advanced ability to analyse data and information to effectively process in to strategy, implementation and policy
- Advanced Computer Knowledge (MS Office etc)
- Strong communication skills required
- Time Management skills required
- Strong organizational and planning skills required
- Willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps and sub grantees field offices and project sites approximately 50%
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment
No. Of Jobs
Years of Experience
As per MCA Salary Scale
Submission Guideline:While sending your CV & Cover letter, please mention the vacancy number and position in the subject line, application received after the closing date and without subject line will not be given consideration. Please include three references from you previous and current supervisors in your CV and make sure that their official email addresses are mentioned in the reference information. Only short listed candidates whose application responds to the above criteria will be contacted for interview. Interested candidates should send their Application to : firstname.lastname@example.org