The Shelter Project Manager will implement and oversee all project work for the Girls Shelter Project for female child victims of trafficking and those at high risk, this includes work with residential and reintegrated clients. Hagar Afghanistan’s residential centre aim is to assist girls from backgrounds of trafficking, abuse, exploitation or high vulnerability.
The aim of the centre is to see clients through the whole journey to recovery, including adequate education and training and reintegration and economic empowerment. It has no set time limit for recovery and reintegration for any individual client and replacement with a family, will not determine the end of Hagar’s support.
Hagar was established in 1994 in Cambodia to serve individual women and children who have survived severe exploitation and human rights abuse. In 2009, Hagar expanded its unique model of long-term, individualised care in Afghanistan and Vietnam. In each unique context, Hagar is committed to the whole person for the long-term: “whatever it takes for as long as it takes to restore a broken life”. Through protection, recovery, empowerment and community integration, Hagar walks with each woman and child on their journey towards wholeness.
The Shelter Project Manager will primarily be responsible for supporting a range of activities at the Girls centre under the guidance of the Executive Director. The support will lead to the efficient and effective operations of project activities at the centre.
- Lead and manage all staff, providing regular supervision, assessing training needs of staff and providing guidance on activities. Manage project activities and outputs to meet expectations of Hagar management, donors and Ministries. Ensure all policies are understood by all staff and to monitor implementation Follow all procedures and ensure that all staff are aware of procedures and implement them correctly. Write narrative reports to MoE, MoWA, MoLSA, AIHRC, MoI and to donors as required Work on proposal development with the Programmes Development Manager and engage with ongoing review of log frames and work plans to ensure that all targets are met. Coordinate with the Security Manager and project Manager to plan team movements Contribute to quality checks and procurement committees to finalise suppliers’ selection Ensure a proper management and use of the project assets and stocks.
- Own and monitor the budget ensuring that project expenditure does not exceed budgeted amounts.
- Head up project staff recruitment as required.
- Participate in meetings with donors, partners, ministries as a representative of our residential centres and of Hagar Afghanistan
- Establish and maintain MOUs with partners’/ referral organizations
- Advocate for Hagar and clients with partners’/ referral organisations
- Support evaluations of the project and ensure that all recommendations are incorporated into future planning
- Participate in project design for new projects within Hagar, as needed
- Assistance with translation and interpretation within Hagar, as needed
- Lead and participate in case management meetings, senior management team meetings, staff training and staff meetings. Report any incidents or breach of policy immediately to your line manager verbally and in documentation. Follow all Hagar International Afghanistan policies and procedures; operating procedures for the centre Assist Management with any other tasks that further Hagar’s work in Afghanistan.
Bachelor degree in Social Work, psychiatric nursing, psychology/counseling, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible professional experience in project management in child protection sector. Ability to write reports in English is a plus. Ability and experience in working with children coming out of difficult backgrounds, families of all ethnicities.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, training and facilitation skills
- Ability to manage a budget and complete project-based financial reporting to the Finance Department
- Strong coordination, and organizational skills
- Understanding of project planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting
- Excellent verbal and written language skills in English, Dari and Pashto
- Awareness of child protection issues
- Sensitivity to child protection.
- Acts with high degree of integrity and professionalism
- Ability to deal with complex situations and issues proactively and persistently
- Promotes a culture of respect, integrity, excellence and transparency, including with colleagues
- Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
- Works respectfully and empathetically with clients.
- Excellent writing and editing skills for external audiences
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs.
- Confidentiality regarding Hagar’s work will be required. Lack of confidentiality or honesty are dismissible offences
No. Of Jobs
Years of Experience
Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible professional experience in project management in child protection sector
Applications should include a Cover letter and an extensive CV in English.
Please write the job title on the subject line of your email.
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. Qaulified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Only those candidates that are short-listed for Written Test/interviews will be notified.