Job Description:Scope of Work/Job Summary:
MoPW is looking to recruit a Transportation Engineering Specialist with extensive experience in this capacity. The candidate shall possess extensive knowledge on sustainable transport and its role in supporting inclusive growth and of the operational side of transportation services, and experience in a similar role, whose expertise in the field of transportation results in efficient and cost-effective services. The incumbent must have a thorough understanding of the international and local design and construction codes/regulations/standards. The incumbent will function as a member of the operation and maintenance team where He/She provides technical inputs and Supports technical and engineering personnel with project support duties. Develop plans for surface transportation projects, according to established engineering standards and national construction policy.
The Transportation Engineering Specialist will carry out the following
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Participates in and approves urban and rural transportation system development projects such as corridor studies, classification studies, route numbering, excess property determination, urban area
• boundaries, institutional roads, scenic routes, and interchange spacing. Prepare project budgets, schedules, or specifications for labor or materials.
• Participates in airport master plan, transit improvement program, or rail plans.
• Utilizes economic, population, land use, and traffic projections to substantiate recommendations for transportation planning in rural, regional or urban areas.
• Analyzes, approves, and evaluates survey data, prepares reports and makes specific recommendations concerning the development of rural or urban transportation plans.
• Attends meetings and conferences to discuss department operations, proposals, and techniques for the resolution of transportation problems and to carry out coordinated programs to fulfill legislative requirements.
• Develops and tests transportation network models to determine travel distribution and future travel demands.
• Represents the department on the technical committee for comprehensive transportation studies and origin-destination studies.
• Supervise the maintenance or repair of transportation systems or system components.
• Evaluate construction project materials for compliance with environmental standards.
• Investigate traffic problems and recommend methods to improve traffic flow or safety.
• Direct the surveying, staking, or laying-out of construction projects.
• Estimate transportation project costs.
• Analyze environmental impact statements for transportation projects.
• Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure compliance with environmental regulations.
• Review development plans to determine potential traffic impact.
• Present data, maps, or other information at construction-related public hearings or meetings.
• Prepare administrative, technical, or statistical reports on traffic-operation matters, such as accidents, safety measures, or pedestrian volume or practices.
• Evaluate transportation systems or traffic control devices or lighting systems to determine need for modification or expansion.
• Develop or assist in the development of transportation-related computer software or computer processes.
• Prepare final project layout drawings that include details such as stress calculations.
• Plan alteration or modification of existing transportation structures to improve safety or function.
• Model transportation scenarios to evaluate the impacts of activities such as new development or to identify possible solutions to transportation problems.
• Investigate or test specific construction project materials to determine compliance to specifications or standards.
• Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure safety or compliance with applicable standards or regulations.
Therefore, to enhance the capacity to strengthen its ability to deliver effective, efficient and transparent services in MPW the Human Resource Directorate wishes to recruit the following staff on contract basis from the development Budget for the Ministry of Public Work (MoPW)
Skills & Competencies:
• Knowledge of the principles and techniques of administrative management; including, organization, planning, staffing, training, budgeting, and reporting.
• Knowledge of the operational and technical problems involved in the administration of a specialized program.
• Knowledge of the assigned program specialty.
• Knowledge of reporting methods and techniques.
• Knowledge of the need, preparation, and use of reports.
• Knowledge of community organization.
• Knowledge of urban and regional planning as related to transportation systems.
• Knowledge of techniques used in the collection, organization, and analysis of sociological, economic, and other data.
• Knowledge of factors involved in the analysis of complex traffic data to provide the basis for such uses as highway classification, determination of jurisdictional responsibility, and long-range planning of highway transportation facilities.
• Knowledge of electronic data processing computers and their use in transportation studies.
• Knowledge of the principles of economics, sociology and environmental science as they related to transportation.
• Ability to plan, direct, and coordinate program and administrative activities of a complex, interrelated, and interdependent nature where unknowns and numerous contingency factors are involved.
• Ability to plan, coordinate, and expedite work projects.
• Ability to interpret complex rules and regulations.
• Ability to communicate with others verbally and in writing.
• Ability to prepare charts, maps and other tools for the analysis of data.
• Ability to make forecasts as a result of studies.
• Bachelors of Civil Transportation Engineering, Master’s Degree, or equivalent, in Transport/Civil Engineering, Transport Economics and/or Business or other related fields with 6 years of relevant experience. A University degree with specialized experience on the transport sector in similar organization/s may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
• Copy of verified Bachelor Degree by Ministry of Higher Education
• Copy of verified Afghan ID Card (Tazkera)
• Copy of verified last Posting Contract
No. Of Jobs
Years of Experience
1 Year (with possibility of extension)
According to NTA Salary Scale (Grade-C)
Office Add: SRTAP Office, Kabul Jalalabad Road, In front of KMTC, Ministry of Public Work, Kabul Afghanistan.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified