Purpose and Objectives of the assignment:
The overall objective of this assignment is to provide capacity-building efforts to Saber Qani on Broiler Breeding Farm & Hatcher and layer farm Management including fertile infertile egg management, sorting and grading of eggs, increase hatching, feeding management (weight uniformity), developing farm management tools and identification of new technologies to increase firm profitability.
Tasks include, but are not limited to the following:
- Conduct a comprehensive assessment of the existing breeder farm & hatchery and layer farm structure, facilities, operations, employee knowledge/skills in breeder farm management, and provide necessary recommendations.
- Undertake a survey of the existing safety management of the farm and make a necessary recommendation.
- Prepare a capacity-building plan based on the result of the assessment and develop necessary capacity-building tools.
- Train workers in all aspects of broiler breeder farm management ((breeding and its types, improved feeding, watering, vaccination, lighting, biosecurity management, weight uniformity management, disease control and management, and other topics deemed important)
- Train the firm technical staff on hatchery management (fertile egg recognition, pre-incubation, and incubation practices, egg storage and grading, fumigation, hatching steps, post-hatching management of day-old chicks, biosecurity management, and other topics deemed important),
- Train the firm technical staff layer farm management (improved feeding, watering, vaccination, lighting, biosecurity management, disease identification/control and management, and other topics deemed important).
- Train technical staff on record keeping and inventory of production, cost, supplies, orders, and equipment.
- Provide weekly updates on their work progress to AVC-Livestock DCOP-Program and his designee.
- Deliver a final presentation to the AVC-Livestock regional technical team on assignment achievements.
- Other duties as assigned by AVC-Livestock technical team.
The Afghanistan Value Chains – Livestock (AVC-Livestock) is a USAID-funded program expected to run through June 2023. AVC-Livestock utilizes a market systems approach to strengthen and facilitate key transactions at either end of the farmer in targeted value chains – the commercial vendors of the goods and services that farmers need to grow higher volumes of quality products, and the processors and traders who purchase farmers’ harvests. AVC-Livestock is a market-driven, private sector-focused program that aims to sustainably strengthen the dairy, poultry, honey, red meat, and fiber value chains throughout Afghanistan resulting in increased incomes, employment, and productivity throughout targeted value chains. Saber Qani is in Herat province and operates in different areas of the poultry value chain i.e., chicken meat production, egg production, fertile egg production, and poultry input supply. The firm is operating in multiple areas and would like to improve its quality management, process control, and its employees’ advanced technical knowledge on the improved hatchery, mother stock, layer, and broiler farm management practices to increase its productivity. Saber Qani started a partnership with AVC-Livestock in 2021 to co-invest in the processing lines of the firm to make some value addition by providing expertise and equipment in the production lines of the firm. To increase business productivity, AVC-Livestock plans to hire an expert to help the company to train nine (9) employees of the firm in the improved and advanced hatchery, mother stock, layer farm, and broiler farm management practices. The training will enable Saber Qani to produce quality fertile eggs, day-old chicks, layers, and poultry meat for its customers. In addition, this training will prepare the firm for establishing a standard hatchery in Herat province in the future.
- Master’s degree or bachelor’s degree in veterinary or animal science and at least five years of relevant work experience in broiler breeder poultry farm and hatchery management.
- Strong writing, communication, and training skills
- work experience with international companies, organizations, and NGOs.
- Fluent Pashto and Dari.
- Proficiency in written English is required.
No. Of Jobs
Years of Experience
As per Organization Scale Salary
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter, with the position name and the Job Location ( Trainer-Province Name) in the subject line, by email to AVCLivestock@dai.com (mailto:AVCLivestock@dai.com). To apply for any AVCL vacancies, please make sure you put the title and the Job Location on the subject of your email, or your application will be disregarded by the system. Please note that applications received after the closing date and without Subject line will not be given considerations. Only shortlisted candidates whose applications responds to the above criteria will be contacted for test/interview